Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Perennial Annuals

Until recently, I was more interested in perennials than annuals. I loved the idea that perennials came back year after year. I was sad to say goodbye to the pretty annuals each fall.

However, my mum showed me the best of both worlds. Despite living in CT, I keep many of my annuals going year after year. I now copy my mum and add winter cheer indoors through numerous pots of annuals. Each year I bring them inside and place them in a sunny window from fall frost to spring thaw.

While there is still time to buy annuals, consider purchasing some that will work well as house plants this the winter. Not all annuals make good roommates. Here are some I found that work well.

Coleus – Colorful leaves of any coleus cheer up any household with winter blahs. See photo below.
Mandevia – ah! Mandevia. My friend Dina introduced me to them a few years ago and I am hooked. Particularly to the ubiquitous ‘Alice du Pont’ variety. Things don’t have to be rare to be beautiful. They cost at least $20 each for a good sized one, so saving the $80 feels good.
Fushia – this year, mine bloomed on Christmas day for me. What a present!
Geranium – Sun shines through the rounded, ruffled leaves to shape up an indoor garden. See top photo.
Just make sure housepets don't snack on any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment